Langsung ke konten utama

Roasted Carrot Soup with Ginger, Turmeric, & Cardamom


 I love ethnic spices, especially in soups. This roasted carrot soup is rich in warming spices of ginger, turmeric, and cardamom with a touch of cooling coconut milk. This easy soup is low in calories, low in fat, vegan, and and naturally gluten free ( like all my recipes) 

I received carrots, onions, and potatoes this week as part of my CSA farm share. I immediately started to think soup!

Roasted veggies make easy and flavorful soups
One of my favorite and easiest ways to make soup is to use roasted veggies as my base. I got the idea when I had a significant amount of vegetables in the refrigerator, and we were leaving for vacation. I needed to find a way to cook the veggies and freeze them. I decided to roast them all. The result was a deliciously tasty blend of incredibly flavorful veggies. 

My daughter in law Wendy said, " Why don't you just blend those roasted veggies in the Vitamix with vegetable broth." That's exactly what I did and to my surprise I ended up with a  quick and simple soup that tasted outstanding.

That is how I started using roasted vegetables as a base for my soups. Roasting vegetables brings out the veggie's sweetest flavor and adds a wonderful richness.  




It's is so easy too. 
To make this soup, I simply lined a cookie sheet with parchment paper, cut up my carrots into spears, sliced my potatoes, and sliced my onion. Tossed the trio in olive oil and Himalayan salt or sea salt, spread them on the lined cookie sheets and then baked at 400 for about 45 minutes until the veggies were done. While the veggies were roasting, I was free to do other things.

When the veggies were ready, I allowed them to cool, then tossed them into the Vitamix with 4 cups of flavorful vegetable broth and the spices. 

Spices add flavor, nutrients, & antioxidants 
If you like ginger, turmeric, and cardamom, you will love the intriguing taste of this light aromatic soup. There are many reasons to include spices in your cooking. Natural spices are very high in antioxidants, anti-inflammatories and vitamins. Unfortunately, processed foods often contain artificial flavoring and coloring which not only does not add to our health, those artificial products may actually interfere with our health. 




My husband gave the soup an A+ ( of course he loves all my soups) and ate it with leftover triple bean salad. it seemed like the perfect soup for the beginning of September.  






Author: Judee Algazi @Gluten Free A-Z Blog
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Roasting Time: 45 minutes
Blender Time: 2 minutes

Ingredients:
1 pound of carrots, sliced into large sticks
2 medium potatoes, sliced in thick rounds
2  large onions, sliced in thick half moons
1/8 cup of olive oil or olive oil spray
Himalayan or sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
4 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom or substitute graham masala ( different flavor) 
Optional: 1 Tablespoon of coconut milk added to each bowl

Directions for roasting
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
Slice the vegetables 
Place vegetables in a large mixing bowl and toss with the olive oil . 
Distribute over the cookie sheets. 
OR place veggies on the cookie sheets and spray generously with olive oil spray ( if spraying, you will have to do this one more time after 20 minutes of roasting) 
Roast for 45-50 minutes until all veggies begin to be soft but roasted.
Remove and allow to cool. 

Directions for assembling soup: 

1. Place 2 cups of cooled roasted carrots, 1 cup of roasted onion, all of potatoes ( and any juice from roasting) into the Vitamix or strong blender. 

2. Add the turmeric, ginger, and cardamom ( or graham masala if you prefer) along with the vegetable broth. 

3. Process until smooth. 

4. Add to bowls and mix in 1 Tablespoon of coconut milk to each bowl ( I didn't- we liked ours plain) and garnish with the leftover roasted carrots ( chop them to bite size) and onions which should be kind of caramelized. 



 My notes: 
*** Personally, I really like this soup cold! Make it, refrigerate it, and eat it cold-. If you like hot soup, then by all means heat it up.

I like this soup with either seasoning- cardamom or graham masala. 

***I am defending my right to offer real food natural recipes that are naturally gluten free. If you are looking for substitutes for cookies, cake, crackers, breads etc - it is not the focus of the recipes on this blog. I feature naturally gluten free recipes that are health giving and promote a healthy gut!







    Komentar

    Postingan populer dari blog ini

    Magnificent Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits For Health and Beauty

    Benefits of apple cider vinegar due to its mineral nutrition, such as, calcium, magnesium, potassium and etc. Apple cider vinegar benefits for health, such as, regulate the stability of blood sugar, preventing digestive disorders, arthritis alternative medicine, weight loss and much more. Apple cider vinegar is made from fresh ripe apples that are fermented and through a rigorous process before

    Plantain Pizza Crust ( GF)

    This recipe makes a fast and easy homemade pizza crust that you can make from start to finish in 25 minutes. The secret is a little known savory" fruit" called a plantain. Plantains are in the banana family, but when they are green, they are much starchier and not at all sweet. They are rich in vitamins A and C and low in calories ( 90 calories /cup) and low in fat. In their starchy state ( when they are green),plantains are perfect for making gluten free crusts, crackers, flatbreads, etc. Plantains that are still green enough to make pizza crust A few months ago, my friend Laura introduced me to a delicious gluten free flatbread that she had made using plantains. Up until that point, I really didn't know what to do with a plantain. I barely even knew what they were. Today, I made my first gluten free pizza crust using a single green plantain that cost me 50 cents. The pizza crust was so easy to make, it bordered on ridiculous. I just peeled and cut one plantain into...

    Middle Eastern Eggplant Ratatouie

    Rich and flavorful, this chunky low calorie Middle Eastern eggplant ratatouille makes a delicious side for a family dinner or an inviting appetizer for your next get together.. I love recipes from Middle Eastern countries like like Turkey, Syria, Egypt, Morocco,and Israel which are famous for their tasty eggplant dishes. This family recipe is a middle Eastern classic that is like a stew- tender, satisfying and easy to make. The secret to the recipe is roasting , not frying, the eggplant and veggies. Roasting brings out the vegetable's natural sweetness, saves calories, and is easier on the digestion than frying. This eggplant recipe is my version of one of my mother in laws authentic recipes that she brought with her from the old country. It is so versatile that we enjoy in a variety of ways: Over Baptismal rice or cauliflower rice,  Paired as a side dish with a bean dish,  As a topping for an omelette ( really good)  Or a cold or hot appetizer with crudites or gluten fre...