Langsung ke konten utama

Cauliflower Aloo Gobi from an American Kitchen



This is a tasty way to serve cauliflower. I never thought I would be making an authentic Indian cuisine recipe.  Cauliflower Aloo Gabi is a flavorful vegan side dish that is both beautiful to look at and outrageously delicious. Indian spices are rich and pungent adding quality nutritive value to this great side dish! ( Did you know that spices are high in antioxidants and nutrients?)

I've never made Indian cuisine before. As much as I love it, I've only eaten Aloo Gobi in an Indian restaurant. Did I mention that this recipe is also gluten and grain free, making it perfect for my gluten free diet. Yes, it is real food, just the way I like it.


Easy Easy Easy- 
 Can you steam and saute? That's all you have to do. The most difficult part of this recipe was getting the spices. I always have turmeric and cumin in the house, and last year I invested in garam masala ( which is a combination of cumin, cardamom, coriander, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg- I keep it in the freezer) You could certainly make your own garam masala, but if you don't already have all of the above spices, I think it's less expensive to just buy the combination. The garam masala really gives it the authentic Indian cuisine taste!

It's All in the Spices
The recipe itself just requires chopping of tomatoes, onions, garlic, and ginger  and of course the cauliflower. See my notes below for an easy way to cut the cauliflower. To cut down on the work,  I buy frozen cubes of garlic, ginger and cilantro at Trader Joe's, Whole foods, and even some supermarkets. I find them in the freezer section in small little packages.

I'm not sure what inspired me to try this recipe. I saw the it on Pinterest, and I was surprised how simple it looked to make. I had a large cauliflower on hand, some of the spices, and company coming for dinner. I wanted to make something a little different with the cauliflower and decided to give this exotic recipe a try.

I followed the how to photos on Cook With Manali and in 45 minutes the recipe was finished. I tasted it and it was really good!  My company loved it over a bed of fluffy Basmati rice, Yum!
Success! Indian cuisine made right in my kitchen! What a treat.
Being vegetarian, I rounded out the meal with black beans, a delicious okra recipe,  and a summer tomato salad.
Saute garlic, ginger, tomato, and onions in a skillet 
Add turmeric, cumin, graham masala 

Add steamed cauliflower and steamed potatoes ( do not overcook cauliflower) 

 Judee Algazi @ Gluten Free A-Z Blog
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Adapted from: Cook With Manali
Serves: 4 side dishes

Ingredients: 
1 medium cauliflower, cut into chunk size flower-ettes
2 medium white potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 Roma Type Tomatoes, diced
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped ( I used 2 frozen garlic cubes from Trader Joe's)
knob of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped ( I used 1 frozen ginger cube)
1 Tablespoon olive oil or olive oil spray
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric ( careful- it stains)
1/4 teaspoon of garam masala ( go easy on this if you are not used to it)
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro or parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. Steam the potatoes and cauliflower till almost soft- do not overcook cauliflower and set aside. ( start the potatoes first because they take longer than the cauliflower) 
  2. In a large skillet, sautee the onions and garlic in olive oil until slightly soft. 
  3. Add the tomatoes and ginger and continue to sautee until it becomes slightly saucy
  4. Add the steamed cauliflower and potatoes, cumin, turmeric, and garam masala
  5. Mix well, cover, and cook on a low heat ( stirring frequently) for about 10 minutes. 
  6. Place in a large bowl, toss with chopped cilantro or parsley and serve.
My Notes: 

  • If you are not accustomed to garam masala go easy- you can always add more

  • How to cut a cauliflower-  I Simply take the cauliflower ( you can even leave it in the wrapper)  and bang it core down ( yes bang it) down on the counter. The core will separate from the flowerettes and you just separate them. Then proceed to use it in any recipe. 
  • Here is a Youtube I found on how to easily cut cauliflower if you don't want to use the Bang on Counter method. 

How to use a knife to cut cauliflower easily


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Magnificent Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits For Health and Beauty

Benefits of apple cider vinegar due to its mineral nutrition, such as, calcium, magnesium, potassium and etc. Apple cider vinegar benefits for health, such as, regulate the stability of blood sugar, preventing digestive disorders, arthritis alternative medicine, weight loss and much more. Apple cider vinegar is made from fresh ripe apples that are fermented and through a rigorous process before

How to remove Gallstones Without Surgery ?

This is a 6 Days Method, formulated by Dr Lai Chiu-Nan of China, which has proven effectiveness for many patients. Gallstones may not be everyone’s concern but may lead to cancer. We all have them (big or small, many or few). “Cancer is never the 1st illness. There are a lot of other problems leading to cancer. I came across some materials stating that people with cancer usually had stones”, said Dr Lee of China. One symptom of gallstones is a feeling of bloatedness after a heavy meal as if you can’t digest the food. If it gets more serious, you feel pain in the liver area”. Dr Lee offers the apple juice treatment which is good for those with a weak liver. Liver and gallbladder are closely linked. 1) Drink 1 glass (250ml) 100% apple juice 4 times a day for 5 days. 1 glass at breakfast, 1 glass at lunch, 1 glass at dinner & 1 glass before going to bed. It softens the gallstones. Eat normally. 2) On the 6th day, skip dinner. At 6pm, take a teaspoon of Epsom salt (magnesium sulphate) ...

Plantain Pizza Crust ( GF)

This recipe makes a fast and easy homemade pizza crust that you can make from start to finish in 25 minutes. The secret is a little known savory" fruit" called a plantain. Plantains are in the banana family, but when they are green, they are much starchier and not at all sweet. They are rich in vitamins A and C and low in calories ( 90 calories /cup) and low in fat. In their starchy state ( when they are green),plantains are perfect for making gluten free crusts, crackers, flatbreads, etc. Plantains that are still green enough to make pizza crust A few months ago, my friend Laura introduced me to a delicious gluten free flatbread that she had made using plantains. Up until that point, I really didn't know what to do with a plantain. I barely even knew what they were. Today, I made my first gluten free pizza crust using a single green plantain that cost me 50 cents. The pizza crust was so easy to make, it bordered on ridiculous. I just peeled and cut one plantain into...