Langsung ke konten utama

Creamy Potato Leek Soup: Warm and Soothing

Looking for a quick and easy homemade soup? Creamy Potato Leek is an all time healthy favorite. I used organic red potatoes, organic onions and organic leeks in this filling, satisfying, and soothing soup . It's a perfect choice for these chilly nights. Serve it with a salad, some cheese, or an entree.


Easy potato leek soup

Would I make this soup for Thanksgiving? 
Why not? It's delicious, gluten free and vegan- 
If you are having guests, chances are that someone has special eating needs and can't eat this or that. This soup meets most allergy needs. ( GF, DF, Nut Free, egg free, vegan). It is a good standby,

I used a combination of leeks and onions in this recipe. Leeks add a rich flavor to the soup and make it taste extra special. However, leeks can also be pricy. So, if you want to cut down on the price ( and don't mind sacrificing a little of the flavor ) , you can just use an additional large onion to the recipe and skip the leek! If you are not ready to make it- don't forget to pin it for later!

My recipes require very little prep

The recipe is easy to make and the prep is fast, calling for only a few main ingredients. I love recipes that make my life easier while at the same time providing healthy nutrients!  The onions, garlic, and leeks provide protective immune building antioxidants.A generous batch of this recipe usually allows for some leftovers to be frozen for another meal.

Additional Time Savers
  • Frozen leeks will work fine 
  • Frozen garlic cubes work fine ( I get mine in Freezer at Trader Joe's- Dorot Brand)
  • This soup freezes well, so you can freeze some for another meal.

Why I don't usually make this soup

I'm going to admit, I don't usually make this soup. I don't usually buy potatoes because I personally don't do well eating too many carbs in my diet.  I usually only buy potatoes when I'm cooking for company. However, my CSA grows beautiful organic red potatoes of which I am entitled to my share,  and I don't want to refuse them!

Instead, I surprised my husband with two delicious recipes to enjoy the wonderful potatoes. First, I prepared this delicious soup. Second, I made him really easy homemade potato chips ( Recipe in a few days)! Needless to say he was in heaven ( as he has no difficulty eating carbs and his weight) and he enjoyed every bite !

This vegan soup has no cream, but it is creamy

Just for the record, this is not a creamed soup although it is creamy. There is no added milk or cream. The creaminess comes from the potatoes as they begin to disintegrate while cooking. Finally, the immersion blender can be used to make it as creamy as you like. We like ours a little chunky, so I just use the immersion blender very quickly. If you truly love a milk based soup , you can swirl cream or a non dairy milk of your choice to the bowl before serving. As always all the ingredients in my recipes meet gluten free standards!

Author: Judee Algazi
Prep Time: 10-12 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

6 large organic red potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into bite size pieces ( no need to peel)
1 large leek, cleaned chopped ( white part only)
1 cup chopped onion
1 and 1/2 cups chopped celery
1 clove garlic, chopped
5 cups water
5 cups vegetable broth ( or chicken broth is you are so inclined)
Cracked Pepper to taste
** do not add salt as the vegetable broth is usually somewhat salty
2 shakes of 21 Salute  - ( a salt free herbal mix I get a Trader Joe's - Mrs. Dash is similar)
1/4 cup of olive oil or olive oil spray

Directions:

Heat oil in a large soup pot ( or spray with olive oil spray) . Add onion, garlic, leek, potatoes and sauté stirring frequently for about 5 minutes tossing the vegetables to coat with the oil. Add the water, the broth, and the seasonings. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to a medium. Cook uncovered for about 25 minutes until vegetables are tender and potatoes begin to fall apart. Use an immersion blender to blend to desired consistency.

chopped leeks
I used only the white for the soup.
The tender part of the green leaves can be saved and chopped into a salad
chopped leeks

chunky potato soup in a pot


potato leek soup
I garnished the soup with a little uncooked chopped kale for a nice color contrast!

                                                             


      This post will be shared and linked on daily blog carnivals




Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Magnificent Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits For Health and Beauty

Benefits of apple cider vinegar due to its mineral nutrition, such as, calcium, magnesium, potassium and etc. Apple cider vinegar benefits for health, such as, regulate the stability of blood sugar, preventing digestive disorders, arthritis alternative medicine, weight loss and much more. Apple cider vinegar is made from fresh ripe apples that are fermented and through a rigorous process before

Plantain Pizza Crust ( GF)

This recipe makes a fast and easy homemade pizza crust that you can make from start to finish in 25 minutes. The secret is a little known savory" fruit" called a plantain. Plantains are in the banana family, but when they are green, they are much starchier and not at all sweet. They are rich in vitamins A and C and low in calories ( 90 calories /cup) and low in fat. In their starchy state ( when they are green),plantains are perfect for making gluten free crusts, crackers, flatbreads, etc. Plantains that are still green enough to make pizza crust A few months ago, my friend Laura introduced me to a delicious gluten free flatbread that she had made using plantains. Up until that point, I really didn't know what to do with a plantain. I barely even knew what they were. Today, I made my first gluten free pizza crust using a single green plantain that cost me 50 cents. The pizza crust was so easy to make, it bordered on ridiculous. I just peeled and cut one plantain into...

Middle Eastern Eggplant Ratatouie

Rich and flavorful, this chunky low calorie Middle Eastern eggplant ratatouille makes a delicious side for a family dinner or an inviting appetizer for your next get together.. I love recipes from Middle Eastern countries like like Turkey, Syria, Egypt, Morocco,and Israel which are famous for their tasty eggplant dishes. This family recipe is a middle Eastern classic that is like a stew- tender, satisfying and easy to make. The secret to the recipe is roasting , not frying, the eggplant and veggies. Roasting brings out the vegetable's natural sweetness, saves calories, and is easier on the digestion than frying. This eggplant recipe is my version of one of my mother in laws authentic recipes that she brought with her from the old country. It is so versatile that we enjoy in a variety of ways: Over Baptismal rice or cauliflower rice,  Paired as a side dish with a bean dish,  As a topping for an omelette ( really good)  Or a cold or hot appetizer with crudites or gluten fre...