Langsung ke konten utama

Asian Broccoli


picture of plate of vegan asian broccoli



Does it make a difference how you cook broccoli? You bet it does!

When I prepare broccoli using this Asian recipe, I actually find myself craving it,  my three year old granddaughter finishes large bowls of it by herself , and my husband always asks for more.  Come on- who runs out of broccoli at dinner? I never can seem to make enough of my Asian Broccoli recipe to satisfy everyone.  Now that's saying something!

Just because this recipe is simple, it doesn't mean it's not sensational.
I called it Asian because it reminds me of the stir fried vegetables I get in the Chinese restaurant. It's cooked in fresh garlic, fresh ginger, and vegetable broth creating a bright green appealing side dish.

It has just 4 ingredients and can be made in 10-15 minutes in a skillet on top of the stove. 
I always use fresh broccoli so it retains its nice green color, but if you need to save time, you tell me- if maybe frozen broccoli would work as well. Let me know if you try it!

I do want to share my secret for a quick way to literally pop out some fresh garlic and ginger, making this recipe even easier. In the winter, I often use a frozen product made by a brand called Dorot. I  keep  a few containers in the freezer so I always have some grated ginger and grated garlic on hand. The product is sold in the frozen food section of some supermarkets, at most Trader Joe's and I believe at many Whole Foods Markets. I've seen the price vary from 3.99 a package in the supermarkets to just a 1.99 a package (at Trader Joe's)

It's available in packages of ginger , garlic, basil, cilantro, etc.  If you turn the package over, it looks like 20 little ice cubes. You can pop one or two out to use in a recipe and then return to the package to freezer for future use! I love the ease and taste of this 100 % no additive pure product. Note: you must keep it frozen at all times for the cubes to pop out.

frozen Dorot spices
display of frozen garlic cubes


I usually purchase a package each of  garlic, basil, cilantro and ginger to keep it in the freezer.

Back to my recipe. It takes me about 5 minutes to wash and cut up the fresh broccoli head into "little trees" as I call it. Then it takes about 10 minutes  to cook in the skillet.
I serve immediately; however, it can be eaten at room temperature or quickly heated up.
This could be a healthy ( not too fattening side) for Thanksgiving. Of course as with all of my recipes, it meets gluten free/grain free, vegetarian and or vegan standards.

Author: Judee Algazi
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes


Ingredients: 
needed: 1 large skillet
1 teaspoon of olive or coconut oil
1 head of broccoli
1 cube of frozen ginger ( or use a 1 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger)
1 cube of frozen garlic ( or use 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped garlic) 
Optional: 1 tsp of freshly grated orange turmeric ( available at Whole Food Markets) 
1/2 cup of vegetable broth  for a medium head of broccoli
Fresh cracked pepper to taste

Directions: 
Wash and clean the broccoli well and dry it. Cut into medium - large size flowerettes . ( I also slice the stalk without peeling and it tastes great too) 
I usually spray my skillet with some olive oil first to coat it and then add 1-2 teaspoons of oil.
Raise the heat to high and when the oil is hot, add your fresh grated ginger, grated fresh garlic ( or frozen) and add your cut up broccoli and allow to cook for about 2 minutes while stirring  on high.  ( If you are using the frozen cubes, just throw them in frozen and they will melt and distribute as the broccoli cooks) 


Lower the heat and add the vegetable broth. ( if you have a very large head of broccoli , use another 1/4 cup of broth). Allow broth to cook down uncovered and the broccoli will become softer.   Serve immediately!



cut up broccoli flowerettes

ginger and turmeric on cutting board
Fresh garlic on left ; fresh turmeric on the right




  • This post will  be shared on 
    My blog carnival list
    including: 

    Wan't to be added to My blog list? Let me know




    If you are new to my blog and would like me to email you my recipes when I post them, please enter your email on my subscribe box in the right top column of the blog.  Don't miss a recipe - about one or two a week.  ( you can unsubscribe at any time)


    photo of woman with white necklace
    Good food is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to develop and discover easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you. Come Back soon.

    Author: Judee Algazi

     Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. I love comments and love to be introduced to your blog. I usually visit and follow your blog on G+ , Bloglovin, and Twitter. Thanks for stopping by. To Comment: Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments

    Disclaimer: I am an affiliate for Amazon and receive a very small compensation when you buy anything from Amazon by clicking on to Amazon from my blog - This helps me defray the cost of my blog expenses. Thank you for your support.

    3K+
    Pin It  Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.



Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

What is Pterygium and Pinguecula ?

[Extracted from the webpage of www.healthscout.com] A pterygium is a fleshy growth that invades the cornea (the clear front window of the eye). It is an abnormal process in which the conjunctiva (a membrane that covers the white of the eye) grows into the cornea. A pinguecula is a yellowish patch or bump on the white of the eye, most often on the side closest to the nose. It is not a tumor but an alteration of normal tissue resulting in a deposit of protein and fat. Unlike a pterygium, a pinguecula does not actually grow onto the cornea. A pinguecula may also be a response to chronic eye irritation or sunlight. Although pterygium and pinguecula sound like mysterious, arcane diseases, they are actually quite common, usually benign eye conditions. These lesions appear as a whitish-yellowish bump or fleshy "growth" on the exposed conjunctiva. If the bump appears only on the white part of the eye, it is called a pinguecula. If it appears to "grow" onto t

What is Angioplasty and Stenting ?

[Extracted from www.vascular.co.nz] An angioplasty is a procedure where a balloon is passed into your artery on the end of a tube (catheter) and is inflated (blown up) to treat a narrowed or blocked artery. The initiator of this technique was Charles Dotter , a radiologist in Oregon who started this work in 1964. The angioplasty technique means that surgery may be avoided in many cases. There are two techniques for performing angioplasty - transluminal and subintimal. In the transluminal technique the balloon is placed in the centre of the artery (in the lumen) where blood would normally flow. In subintimal angioplasty ( Bolia, 1989) the balloon is intentionally placed within the layers of the arterial wall. As far as the patient is concerned, angioplasty is very similar to an angiogram except that a slightly bigger catheter is used and therefore the risks of bleeding are slightly greater. For

What is Down Syndrome and its Causes ?

[Extracted from the webpage of  "Downsyndrome.about.com"] Down syndrome is caused by an extra number 21 chromosome. But what does this really mean ? To really understand what causes Down syndrome, you need to have a thorough understanding of what chromosomes are, and what they do. Genetic Information The easiest way to think of chromosomes is as packages of genetic information. The human body is made up of all different types of cells and inside each of these cells are our genes. Genes are the units of inheritance that are passed from one generation to another. They are located in every cell of our bodies and they provide the instructions for every structure and function of our body. Humans have about 25,000 different genes. Rather than having all 25,000 bouncing around inside cells individually, our genes are located or packaged on chromosomes rather like pearls on a necklace. Genes Genes are made of DNA which is a molecule made up of four different chemicals cal