Langsung ke konten utama

Stuffed Portobello Quiche - Gluten Free



portobello cap stuffed with spinach

Roasted Portobello mushroom caps are exceptional when stuffed with this quiche-like spinach filling. These flavorful beauties will make an impressive presentation for any holiday meal, but especially for Thanksgiving or Christmas! You can serve them as a tasty side dish or as a vegetarian entree. Of course they are also gluten/grain/nut free.

Portobello mushroom caps

I bought two large mushroom caps, wiped the outside very clean with a damp cloth,  removed the inner stem ( saved it for soup) , scraped the inside a little and placed them into a greased pyrex pan to bake for 15 minutes. I was amazed to see the juices that flowed out of the mushrooms, they were so rich and flavorful. I poured out about 1/2 cup of juice into a container and saved it for soup.

large mushrooms caps

Next I stuffed the caps with the simple quiche filling I prepared using ricotta, frozen spinach,  eggs and shredded cheese. Baked them until the quiche was set, and boy was I very pleased with the results.

Filling of spinach, ricotta, eggs, shredded cheese and spices 
I originally got the Idea from a blog called I follow called,  All Day I Dream About Food.
Carolyn used an artichoke spinach dip from Whole Foods Market to make her quiches ! Her Portobello quiches looked so impressive and delicious that I knew I wanted to make them. Believe it or not, I traveled a 1/2 hour to Whole Foods and they were out of the dip. That was when I knew I would have to improvise and create my own version! I still want to try it with the dip, but I liked my version too.

If you ever have a guest who is vegetarian- ( not vegan) , they would love this!


So there you have it- another easy, but elegant recipe that meets gluten free and vegetarian standards! They can be made a day in advance and simply heated up to serve.

Author: Judee Algazi
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes for roasting the mushroom caps
Cook Time : 20 minutes for quiche filling
Total cook time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes


Quiche in a musrroom cap


Ingredients: 
2 large portobello mushroom caps
1 cup of ricotta cheese ( I used full fat)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice ( swiss? Italian blend? Mexican blend? )
1 cup of frozen spinach ( I didn't even squeeze the moisture out)
Pepper and herbal seasoning to taste

Instructions:
Clean the mushrooms caps with a damp paper towel. Remove the stem ( save for soup).
Scrape the inside of the cap slightly to make more room for the filling. Place the caps face up on a cookie sheet with a rim. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. ( pour off any juices to save for a a soup if desired)

While the caps are baking, assemble ricotta cheese, 2 beaten eggs, shredded cheese, frozen spinach and seasoning. Mix well with a fork. Fill the caps with the mixture. Return to 350 oven and bake until the  quiche is set and firm, about  20-25 minutes.
quiche in one mushroom cap




Read it now; pin it for later   
This post will  be shared on  

My blog carnival list  


including  . Gluten Free Homemaker 
Wan't to be added to My blog list? Let me know



If you are new to my blog and would like me to email you my recipes when I post them, please enter your email on my subscribe box in the right top column of the blog.  Don't miss a recipe - about one or two a week.  ( you can unsubscribe at any time)

Food is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to develop and discover easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you. Come Back soon.



Author: Judee Algazi

 Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. I love comments and love to be introduced to your blog. I usually visit and follow your blog on G+ , Bloglovin, and Twitter. Thanks for stopping by. To Comment: Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments

Disclaimer: I am an affiliate for Amazon and receive a very small compensation when you buy anything from Amazon by clicking on to Amazon from my blog - This helps me defray the cost 

 Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.
You might also like:

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Magnificent Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits For Health and Beauty

Benefits of apple cider vinegar due to its mineral nutrition, such as, calcium, magnesium, potassium and etc. Apple cider vinegar benefits for health, such as, regulate the stability of blood sugar, preventing digestive disorders, arthritis alternative medicine, weight loss and much more. Apple cider vinegar is made from fresh ripe apples that are fermented and through a rigorous process before

How to remove Gallstones Without Surgery ?

This is a 6 Days Method, formulated by Dr Lai Chiu-Nan of China, which has proven effectiveness for many patients. Gallstones may not be everyone’s concern but may lead to cancer. We all have them (big or small, many or few). “Cancer is never the 1st illness. There are a lot of other problems leading to cancer. I came across some materials stating that people with cancer usually had stones”, said Dr Lee of China. One symptom of gallstones is a feeling of bloatedness after a heavy meal as if you can’t digest the food. If it gets more serious, you feel pain in the liver area”. Dr Lee offers the apple juice treatment which is good for those with a weak liver. Liver and gallbladder are closely linked. 1) Drink 1 glass (250ml) 100% apple juice 4 times a day for 5 days. 1 glass at breakfast, 1 glass at lunch, 1 glass at dinner & 1 glass before going to bed. It softens the gallstones. Eat normally. 2) On the 6th day, skip dinner. At 6pm, take a teaspoon of Epsom salt (magnesium sulphate) ...

Plantain Pizza Crust ( GF)

This recipe makes a fast and easy homemade pizza crust that you can make from start to finish in 25 minutes. The secret is a little known savory" fruit" called a plantain. Plantains are in the banana family, but when they are green, they are much starchier and not at all sweet. They are rich in vitamins A and C and low in calories ( 90 calories /cup) and low in fat. In their starchy state ( when they are green),plantains are perfect for making gluten free crusts, crackers, flatbreads, etc. Plantains that are still green enough to make pizza crust A few months ago, my friend Laura introduced me to a delicious gluten free flatbread that she had made using plantains. Up until that point, I really didn't know what to do with a plantain. I barely even knew what they were. Today, I made my first gluten free pizza crust using a single green plantain that cost me 50 cents. The pizza crust was so easy to make, it bordered on ridiculous. I just peeled and cut one plantain into...