Langsung ke konten utama

Stuffed Portobello Quiche - Gluten Free



portobello cap stuffed with spinach

Roasted Portobello mushroom caps are exceptional when stuffed with this quiche-like spinach filling. These flavorful beauties will make an impressive presentation for any holiday meal, but especially for Thanksgiving or Christmas! You can serve them as a tasty side dish or as a vegetarian entree. Of course they are also gluten/grain/nut free.

Portobello mushroom caps

I bought two large mushroom caps, wiped the outside very clean with a damp cloth,  removed the inner stem ( saved it for soup) , scraped the inside a little and placed them into a greased pyrex pan to bake for 15 minutes. I was amazed to see the juices that flowed out of the mushrooms, they were so rich and flavorful. I poured out about 1/2 cup of juice into a container and saved it for soup.

large mushrooms caps

Next I stuffed the caps with the simple quiche filling I prepared using ricotta, frozen spinach,  eggs and shredded cheese. Baked them until the quiche was set, and boy was I very pleased with the results.

Filling of spinach, ricotta, eggs, shredded cheese and spices 
I originally got the Idea from a blog called I follow called,  All Day I Dream About Food.
Carolyn used an artichoke spinach dip from Whole Foods Market to make her quiches ! Her Portobello quiches looked so impressive and delicious that I knew I wanted to make them. Believe it or not, I traveled a 1/2 hour to Whole Foods and they were out of the dip. That was when I knew I would have to improvise and create my own version! I still want to try it with the dip, but I liked my version too.

If you ever have a guest who is vegetarian- ( not vegan) , they would love this!


So there you have it- another easy, but elegant recipe that meets gluten free and vegetarian standards! They can be made a day in advance and simply heated up to serve.

Author: Judee Algazi
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes for roasting the mushroom caps
Cook Time : 20 minutes for quiche filling
Total cook time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes


Quiche in a musrroom cap


Ingredients: 
2 large portobello mushroom caps
1 cup of ricotta cheese ( I used full fat)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice ( swiss? Italian blend? Mexican blend? )
1 cup of frozen spinach ( I didn't even squeeze the moisture out)
Pepper and herbal seasoning to taste

Instructions:
Clean the mushrooms caps with a damp paper towel. Remove the stem ( save for soup).
Scrape the inside of the cap slightly to make more room for the filling. Place the caps face up on a cookie sheet with a rim. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. ( pour off any juices to save for a a soup if desired)

While the caps are baking, assemble ricotta cheese, 2 beaten eggs, shredded cheese, frozen spinach and seasoning. Mix well with a fork. Fill the caps with the mixture. Return to 350 oven and bake until the  quiche is set and firm, about  20-25 minutes.
quiche in one mushroom cap




Read it now; pin it for later   
This post will  be shared on  

My blog carnival list  


including  . Gluten Free Homemaker 
Wan't to be added to My blog list? Let me know



If you are new to my blog and would like me to email you my recipes when I post them, please enter your email on my subscribe box in the right top column of the blog.  Don't miss a recipe - about one or two a week.  ( you can unsubscribe at any time)

Food is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to develop and discover easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you. Come Back soon.



Author: Judee Algazi

 Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. I love comments and love to be introduced to your blog. I usually visit and follow your blog on G+ , Bloglovin, and Twitter. Thanks for stopping by. To Comment: Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments

Disclaimer: I am an affiliate for Amazon and receive a very small compensation when you buy anything from Amazon by clicking on to Amazon from my blog - This helps me defray the cost 

 Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.
You might also like:

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

What is Pterygium and Pinguecula ?

[Extracted from the webpage of www.healthscout.com] A pterygium is a fleshy growth that invades the cornea (the clear front window of the eye). It is an abnormal process in which the conjunctiva (a membrane that covers the white of the eye) grows into the cornea. A pinguecula is a yellowish patch or bump on the white of the eye, most often on the side closest to the nose. It is not a tumor but an alteration of normal tissue resulting in a deposit of protein and fat. Unlike a pterygium, a pinguecula does not actually grow onto the cornea. A pinguecula may also be a response to chronic eye irritation or sunlight. Although pterygium and pinguecula sound like mysterious, arcane diseases, they are actually quite common, usually benign eye conditions. These lesions appear as a whitish-yellowish bump or fleshy "growth" on the exposed conjunctiva. If the bump appears only on the white part of the eye, it is called a pinguecula. If it appears to "grow" onto t

What is Angioplasty and Stenting ?

[Extracted from www.vascular.co.nz] An angioplasty is a procedure where a balloon is passed into your artery on the end of a tube (catheter) and is inflated (blown up) to treat a narrowed or blocked artery. The initiator of this technique was Charles Dotter , a radiologist in Oregon who started this work in 1964. The angioplasty technique means that surgery may be avoided in many cases. There are two techniques for performing angioplasty - transluminal and subintimal. In the transluminal technique the balloon is placed in the centre of the artery (in the lumen) where blood would normally flow. In subintimal angioplasty ( Bolia, 1989) the balloon is intentionally placed within the layers of the arterial wall. As far as the patient is concerned, angioplasty is very similar to an angiogram except that a slightly bigger catheter is used and therefore the risks of bleeding are slightly greater. For

What is Down Syndrome and its Causes ?

[Extracted from the webpage of  "Downsyndrome.about.com"] Down syndrome is caused by an extra number 21 chromosome. But what does this really mean ? To really understand what causes Down syndrome, you need to have a thorough understanding of what chromosomes are, and what they do. Genetic Information The easiest way to think of chromosomes is as packages of genetic information. The human body is made up of all different types of cells and inside each of these cells are our genes. Genes are the units of inheritance that are passed from one generation to another. They are located in every cell of our bodies and they provide the instructions for every structure and function of our body. Humans have about 25,000 different genes. Rather than having all 25,000 bouncing around inside cells individually, our genes are located or packaged on chromosomes rather like pearls on a necklace. Genes Genes are made of DNA which is a molecule made up of four different chemicals cal