Langsung ke konten utama

Greek Yogurt Taste Taste, Part II

After reviewing a few brands of Greek yogurt last week, I came across 2 more brands I had not previously tried or reviewed so I thought I'd give them the same taste test as before. Same rules applied: I bought the brand in the vanilla or honey flavor, 0% fat, and have rated the brands according to how I perceived their relative tartness and overall quality.

First up: Athenos Greek Yogurt


Like Fage, it has a little "well" next to the actual yogurt that holds the honey. You can dip it or mix it in. I was a little...I don't know...put off...that I was only getting 5.3 ounces of product, yet was paying about 30-40% more than some of the other brands I've tried. But I bought it anyway.  Calories? 160 - a little on the high side. Sodium? 50 mg. - again,. a little more than I'd like to see in such a relatively small serving of yogurt.
Athenos is actually organic ( made with milk from cows not given growth or milk stimulating hormones, or antibiotics ) so I consider that to be a plus.

Upon opening, I discovered the yogurt to be a pleasing thick consistency, with a nice but not unpleasant tanginess – about a 2.5 to 3 on my tang scale out of 5. Similar to the Fage – I discovered that mixing the honey well into the yogurt well is a little unwieldy and sloppy. If not mixed well, you end up hitting pockets of pure honey that can be a little disconcerting.
Overall, I liked the taste, and would buy it again if on sale…but I didn’t appreciate the difficulty in incorporating the honey into the yogurt. I think if I had other brands available to me, I’d consider them before Athenos.


The second brand I tried I found while shopping at Safeway : Open Nature.




I admit, I scanned the label quickly - all seemed ok. So, I put a single cup in my cart and continued along. When I sat down to eat it, I examined it more carefully...Lucerne! Distributed by Lucerne! That is Safeway's house brand name. Oh, no - Safeway had duped me. Again! However, I was determined that I would give this brand a fair shake. Wow, am I glad that I did. Upon opening, the yogurt was clearly superior to its poor Lucerne cousin. It was rich and creamy - very enjoyable. It definitely is low on the tangy scale - like a 1.5 out of 5; similar to Chobani and good for the "beginner" Greek yogurt fan or those who do not like a real tangy yogurt. I will definitely buy this one again. I enjoyed the creamy consistency.

So there you have it - two additional brands of Greek yogurt tested - I'll keep my eyes peeled for new ones!

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Magnificent Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits For Health and Beauty

Benefits of apple cider vinegar due to its mineral nutrition, such as, calcium, magnesium, potassium and etc. Apple cider vinegar benefits for health, such as, regulate the stability of blood sugar, preventing digestive disorders, arthritis alternative medicine, weight loss and much more. Apple cider vinegar is made from fresh ripe apples that are fermented and through a rigorous process before

Plantain Pizza Crust ( GF)

This recipe makes a fast and easy homemade pizza crust that you can make from start to finish in 25 minutes. The secret is a little known savory" fruit" called a plantain. Plantains are in the banana family, but when they are green, they are much starchier and not at all sweet. They are rich in vitamins A and C and low in calories ( 90 calories /cup) and low in fat. In their starchy state ( when they are green),plantains are perfect for making gluten free crusts, crackers, flatbreads, etc. Plantains that are still green enough to make pizza crust A few months ago, my friend Laura introduced me to a delicious gluten free flatbread that she had made using plantains. Up until that point, I really didn't know what to do with a plantain. I barely even knew what they were. Today, I made my first gluten free pizza crust using a single green plantain that cost me 50 cents. The pizza crust was so easy to make, it bordered on ridiculous. I just peeled and cut one plantain into...

Middle Eastern Eggplant Ratatouie

Rich and flavorful, this chunky low calorie Middle Eastern eggplant ratatouille makes a delicious side for a family dinner or an inviting appetizer for your next get together.. I love recipes from Middle Eastern countries like like Turkey, Syria, Egypt, Morocco,and Israel which are famous for their tasty eggplant dishes. This family recipe is a middle Eastern classic that is like a stew- tender, satisfying and easy to make. The secret to the recipe is roasting , not frying, the eggplant and veggies. Roasting brings out the vegetable's natural sweetness, saves calories, and is easier on the digestion than frying. This eggplant recipe is my version of one of my mother in laws authentic recipes that she brought with her from the old country. It is so versatile that we enjoy in a variety of ways: Over Baptismal rice or cauliflower rice,  Paired as a side dish with a bean dish,  As a topping for an omelette ( really good)  Or a cold or hot appetizer with crudites or gluten fre...