Langsung ke konten utama

Weathering the Storm




If you are a stress eater - nothing can be harder than staying on track when emotional times hit...and they will hit. What do you do? Where do you turn when every fiber of your being is telling you to eat that cookie?

I was faced with this choice today. I held the cookie in my hand. I turned it over and looked at the chocolate chips. I said "This will not get me where I want to be."

And it didn't work. I still wanted the cookie. Badly. I wanted to assure myself everything would be ok - to soothe my frazzled nerves, to calm my thoughts - to ease my pain.

Ultimately, I put the cookie back and walked out of the kitchen. I went and took a shower. I hadn't cried at all until I got in the shower, and the tears flowed easily and quietly. I let the pain go.

After I got out of the shower, I made a startling realization...at least, it was for me. Food for me is a comfort mechanism to turn to when showing emotion isn't appropriate. When keeping it bottled up is easier than facing the emotions I'm feeling. Crying released the tension I was feeling, and as I dried my hair, I understood so clearly...I no longer wanted the cookie; my emotional pain had been released.

I made a big breakthrough today. Will I want to eat out of emotion in the future? Perhaps - but the healing has begun.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Magnificent Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits For Health and Beauty

Benefits of apple cider vinegar due to its mineral nutrition, such as, calcium, magnesium, potassium and etc. Apple cider vinegar benefits for health, such as, regulate the stability of blood sugar, preventing digestive disorders, arthritis alternative medicine, weight loss and much more. Apple cider vinegar is made from fresh ripe apples that are fermented and through a rigorous process before

Plantain Pizza Crust ( GF)

This recipe makes a fast and easy homemade pizza crust that you can make from start to finish in 25 minutes. The secret is a little known savory" fruit" called a plantain. Plantains are in the banana family, but when they are green, they are much starchier and not at all sweet. They are rich in vitamins A and C and low in calories ( 90 calories /cup) and low in fat. In their starchy state ( when they are green),plantains are perfect for making gluten free crusts, crackers, flatbreads, etc. Plantains that are still green enough to make pizza crust A few months ago, my friend Laura introduced me to a delicious gluten free flatbread that she had made using plantains. Up until that point, I really didn't know what to do with a plantain. I barely even knew what they were. Today, I made my first gluten free pizza crust using a single green plantain that cost me 50 cents. The pizza crust was so easy to make, it bordered on ridiculous. I just peeled and cut one plantain into...

Middle Eastern Eggplant Ratatouie

Rich and flavorful, this chunky low calorie Middle Eastern eggplant ratatouille makes a delicious side for a family dinner or an inviting appetizer for your next get together.. I love recipes from Middle Eastern countries like like Turkey, Syria, Egypt, Morocco,and Israel which are famous for their tasty eggplant dishes. This family recipe is a middle Eastern classic that is like a stew- tender, satisfying and easy to make. The secret to the recipe is roasting , not frying, the eggplant and veggies. Roasting brings out the vegetable's natural sweetness, saves calories, and is easier on the digestion than frying. This eggplant recipe is my version of one of my mother in laws authentic recipes that she brought with her from the old country. It is so versatile that we enjoy in a variety of ways: Over Baptismal rice or cauliflower rice,  Paired as a side dish with a bean dish,  As a topping for an omelette ( really good)  Or a cold or hot appetizer with crudites or gluten fre...