Langsung ke konten utama

Pumpkin Fall Harvest Soup- gluten free and vegan


vegan fall harvest soup with pumpkin

This light savory fall harvest soup has a warming broth and a rich satisfying flavor. It is easy to make, ( like all of my soups) and even includes some homemade pumpkin puree. I was looking for a good fast soup for the damp and cold Halloween Eve that incorporated the fall harvest. I wasn't disappointed in this naturally gluten free and vegan winner. I needed it to be really good! Why?

I was invited to my son and daughter in laws house to eat dinner and to also see the grandkids in their Halloween costumes. As with many Halloweens that I can remember, it was a cold and damp evening in Pennsylvania. I wanted to bring some soup to take off the chill both in the house and our bodies.

I could have made my popular pumpkin pie soup, which is blended with sweet apple cider and creamy coconut milk . But I wanted something that was not going to be sweet ( there was going to be enough sweets that night with all the Halloween candy)

I had some unsweetened roasted homemade pumpkin puree left from pumpkin rice pudding that I had made the day before ( you could use canned if time  doesn't allow ) . I also had a large white organic potato, organic sweet potatoes, organic onion and organic parsley left from my CSA farm pick up this week . I knew these ingredients could help flavor a tasty savory soup. We were not disappointed. 

We were 8 adults and 4 kids. Before everyone left to trick or treat, the pot of soup and everyone's soup bowls were licked clean. It was a good soup!

So there you have it- a fall harvest soup recipe that was born from what I had in my kitchen: Onions, sweet potato, white potato, pumpkin puree, and parsley.

With just 5 or 6 ingredients, it was a simple, yet delicious soup.

Although I made it for Halloween, it certainly is worthy of being brought to the Thanksgiving table. It is light, so it can go with a heavy meal. It's a perfect vegan choice as well.
All of my recipes meet real food and gluten free standards.

Ingredients: 
1 large onion, diced
olive oil 
1 large white potato- peeled and chopped
1 large sweet potato- peeled and chopped
1 cup of homemade unsweetened pumpkin puree ( use canned if you must)
1/2 cup of parsley
6 cups vegetable broth +2 cups ( use can also use chicken broth if you are not vegetarian like me)
4 cups water + 2 cups
2 Tablespoons of salt free mixed seasoning ( I used 21 Salute salt free spice mix from Trader Joes)- or add fresh garlic, black pepper, onion powder, dried thyme etc.
optional: 1/4 teaspoon of ground turmeric to add a stronger orange/yellow color and some valuable antioxidants that the pretty spice provides. ( if you decide to use the turmeric, remember- turmeric stains, so be careful of tablecloths and clothing!)

Directions: 
In a soup pot sauté the onion in olive oil for a few minutes. Add the chopped white potato, chopped sweet potato and continue to sauté on low. When the potatoes are partially cooked, add the 6 cups of broth, 4 cups of water, the pumpkin puree,  seasoning and the parsley.  Cook on medium heat until the potatoes are soft and begin to fall apart. Add 2 more cups of vegetable broth and 2 cups of water and cook for about another 10 minutes uncovered

Note: I find that in all soups, the flavor of the vegetable broth that you use can make a difference in the taste of the soup. Find one that you really like or make your own from all of your vegetable scraps. I usually make my own, but will use Tabatchnicks if I am really in a hurry.

My friend Laura keeps a large baggie in the freezer and adds scraps of onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper, potato peels, mushrooms etc.to the baggie each day to freeze them ( instead of throwing them away)  until she has enough to make a nice vegetable stock for her soups.

cut up sweet potato and white potato
Cut up sweet potato and white potato

pumpkin puree
Homemade Pumpkin Puree made by roasting a small "sugar pumpkin" variety of pumpkin and scooping and mashing- see directions roasted homemade pumpkin puree 


Everything simmering in a pot

savory fall harvest soup with pumpkin

Any Questions or comments?
Read it now; pin it for later  
This post will  be shared on  

My blog carnival list Plus 
Friday

SouperSundays

including  . Souper Sunday .  Free Homemaker 

Wan't to be added to My blog list? Let me know




If you are new to my blog and would like me to email you my recipes when I post them, please enter your email on my subscribe box in the right top column of the blog.  Don't miss a recipe - about one or two a week.  ( you can unsubscribe at any time)

Food is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to develop and discover easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you. Come Back soon.



Author: Judee Algazi

 Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. I love comments and love to be introduced to your blog. I usually visit and follow your blog on G+ , Bloglovin, and Twitter. Thanks for stopping by. To Comment: Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments

Disclaimer: I am an affiliate for Amazon and receive a very small compensation when you buy anything from Amazon by clicking on to Amazon from my blog - This helps me defray the cost of my blog expenses. Thank you for your support.
Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Magnificent Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits For Health and Beauty

Benefits of apple cider vinegar due to its mineral nutrition, such as, calcium, magnesium, potassium and etc. Apple cider vinegar benefits for health, such as, regulate the stability of blood sugar, preventing digestive disorders, arthritis alternative medicine, weight loss and much more. Apple cider vinegar is made from fresh ripe apples that are fermented and through a rigorous process before

Plantain Pizza Crust ( GF)

This recipe makes a fast and easy homemade pizza crust that you can make from start to finish in 25 minutes. The secret is a little known savory" fruit" called a plantain. Plantains are in the banana family, but when they are green, they are much starchier and not at all sweet. They are rich in vitamins A and C and low in calories ( 90 calories /cup) and low in fat. In their starchy state ( when they are green),plantains are perfect for making gluten free crusts, crackers, flatbreads, etc. Plantains that are still green enough to make pizza crust A few months ago, my friend Laura introduced me to a delicious gluten free flatbread that she had made using plantains. Up until that point, I really didn't know what to do with a plantain. I barely even knew what they were. Today, I made my first gluten free pizza crust using a single green plantain that cost me 50 cents. The pizza crust was so easy to make, it bordered on ridiculous. I just peeled and cut one plantain into...

Middle Eastern Eggplant Ratatouie

Rich and flavorful, this chunky low calorie Middle Eastern eggplant ratatouille makes a delicious side for a family dinner or an inviting appetizer for your next get together.. I love recipes from Middle Eastern countries like like Turkey, Syria, Egypt, Morocco,and Israel which are famous for their tasty eggplant dishes. This family recipe is a middle Eastern classic that is like a stew- tender, satisfying and easy to make. The secret to the recipe is roasting , not frying, the eggplant and veggies. Roasting brings out the vegetable's natural sweetness, saves calories, and is easier on the digestion than frying. This eggplant recipe is my version of one of my mother in laws authentic recipes that she brought with her from the old country. It is so versatile that we enjoy in a variety of ways: Over Baptismal rice or cauliflower rice,  Paired as a side dish with a bean dish,  As a topping for an omelette ( really good)  Or a cold or hot appetizer with crudites or gluten fre...