Langsung ke konten utama

Let Them Eat Cake or, Aversion Therapy: Is it Worth It?

Yesterday was my birthday. Due to circumstances, the folks at my office celebrated today, with lunch and the traditional cake. Now, I was approached by the woman who organizes such things, and asked point blank if I wanted to have a cake or not. As my co-workers are very dessert friendly, I would have felt bad saying "Hey, let's have Jell-o!" ...so, I declared that if a yellow cake with chocolate frosting were to magically appear...I wouldn't say no.

 Lo and behold - the cake appeared today. Smelled heavenly - thickly sweet, massive sugar and chocolate. I sliced large pieces for my co-workers; I didn't want to bring any home. I cut a piece for myself. Not too big, not too small .



That first bite was fantastic. I haven't had anything even close since August. I savored those first few bites. Then words from my dear friend rang in my ear - and I stopped eating halfway through. I was satiated.

The next hour, however, was horrible. I was sick to my stomach. The sugar was heavy in my gut, and a few times I thought I was actually going to be ill. I commented to a co-worker how bad I felt - and he admitted the same. We are both eating a lot healthier these days.

My stomach clearly wasn't happy. I've changed my body's internal chemistry, its preferences have been reset to the factory settings - and the sugary mess was...an abomination.

I said yes to the cake not because I really wanted it - but because I didn't want to let others down. Upon reflection this evening, I see the correct thing to do should have been to politely decline cake, and have the luncheon we had ( the Mediterranean wrap I had was good and Clean ) stand as my celebration. Instead, I chose others over myself.

Is the right move a selfish one? Could I have said yes to cake and not eaten any? ( I seriously have been thinking about that ... )

I don't know the answer - but I do know, the wrong answer made me sick. I used to crave birthday cake. After this afternoon's experience, I can't believe I'm saying these words: I don't think I want another piece of cake.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Magnificent Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits For Health and Beauty

Benefits of apple cider vinegar due to its mineral nutrition, such as, calcium, magnesium, potassium and etc. Apple cider vinegar benefits for health, such as, regulate the stability of blood sugar, preventing digestive disorders, arthritis alternative medicine, weight loss and much more. Apple cider vinegar is made from fresh ripe apples that are fermented and through a rigorous process before

Plantain Pizza Crust ( GF)

This recipe makes a fast and easy homemade pizza crust that you can make from start to finish in 25 minutes. The secret is a little known savory" fruit" called a plantain. Plantains are in the banana family, but when they are green, they are much starchier and not at all sweet. They are rich in vitamins A and C and low in calories ( 90 calories /cup) and low in fat. In their starchy state ( when they are green),plantains are perfect for making gluten free crusts, crackers, flatbreads, etc. Plantains that are still green enough to make pizza crust A few months ago, my friend Laura introduced me to a delicious gluten free flatbread that she had made using plantains. Up until that point, I really didn't know what to do with a plantain. I barely even knew what they were. Today, I made my first gluten free pizza crust using a single green plantain that cost me 50 cents. The pizza crust was so easy to make, it bordered on ridiculous. I just peeled and cut one plantain into...

Middle Eastern Eggplant Ratatouie

Rich and flavorful, this chunky low calorie Middle Eastern eggplant ratatouille makes a delicious side for a family dinner or an inviting appetizer for your next get together.. I love recipes from Middle Eastern countries like like Turkey, Syria, Egypt, Morocco,and Israel which are famous for their tasty eggplant dishes. This family recipe is a middle Eastern classic that is like a stew- tender, satisfying and easy to make. The secret to the recipe is roasting , not frying, the eggplant and veggies. Roasting brings out the vegetable's natural sweetness, saves calories, and is easier on the digestion than frying. This eggplant recipe is my version of one of my mother in laws authentic recipes that she brought with her from the old country. It is so versatile that we enjoy in a variety of ways: Over Baptismal rice or cauliflower rice,  Paired as a side dish with a bean dish,  As a topping for an omelette ( really good)  Or a cold or hot appetizer with crudites or gluten fre...