Langsung ke konten utama

Real vs Fake, Part III - Meat Substitute Burgers

This one saddens me, I have to admit. I like Morningstar and Boca meatless burgers - a lot. Yes, they are proceessed. Yes they are man made , and, unmistakeably, they are unclean. I guess I was turning a blind eye to them. Well, after my research for this piece...I can't, anymore. These will not be part of my diet any longer...and I just got a bunch of killer Morningstar coupons, too! :-(

Morningstar and Boca brand burgers are essentially texturized soy protein ( which, in and of itself is flavorless, and I would admit - mostly harmless ) with added colorings, flavorings, and salt...a lot of salt. Some variations have cheese in there ( not labeled as organic in any way ), some with chemicals I just can't even pronounce.



Boca Burgers ( All American Flame Grilled ): Water, Soy protein concentrate, reduced fat cheddar cheese ( Pasturized part-skim milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, annatto color, vitamin A palmitate ), wheat gluten, corn oil - contains less than 2% of methylcellulose, hydrolyzed corn protein, wheat gluten, and soy protein, salt, caramel color, cheese powder ( cheddar cheese {milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes}, cream , salt, sodium phosphate, lactic acid ), dried onions, yeast extract, natural flavor ( non-meat ), sesame oil, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, browned in corn oil.



Morningstar Chik Patties ( Original ): 
TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, WHEAT GLUTEN, WATER FOR HYDRATION), WATER, BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR, ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), CORN OIL, CORNSTARCH, YELLOW CORN FLOUR, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF WHEAT STARCH, SALT, WHEAT GLUTEN, DEXTROSE, METHYLCELLULOSE, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, HYDROLYZED CORN AND SOY PROTEIN, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SUGAR, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS FROM NON-MEAT SOURCES, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, YEAST EXTRACT, SOYBEAN OIL, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, LEAVENING (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, BAKING SODA), DISODIUM INOSINATE, ONION, DRIED YEAST, CARAMEL COLOR, INULIN FROM CHICORY ROOT, SPICES, XANTHAN GUM, TAPIOCA DEXTRIN, SODIUM ALGINATE, GUAR GUM, PAPRIKA EXTRACT FOR COLOR, CELLULOSE GUM, CITRIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, ANNATTO EXTRACT FOR COLOR, GARLIC, PAPRIKA, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, CELERY EXTRACT, WHEAT FIBER, TURMERIC FOR COLOR, BARLEY EXTRACT, NIACINAMIDE, NONFAT DRY MILK, EGG WHITES, SUCCINIC ACID, IRON (FERROUS SULFATE), THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), VITAMIN B12.
( Honestly, sorry for the all caps. I copied it from their website, and that's just too much for me to retype with only 1 cup of coffee in my system ) 


Clearly - added starches, chemicals, proteins, salts. Not clean by any stretch of the imagination. This is one of those items that masquerades as health food, but really isn't healthy at all. Each Boca burger has almost 400 mg of sodium; each Chik patty has 590 mg. The chik patties have white flour in them ( no thank you! ) and the added gums and starches to make it form a patty.


Best bet if like me, you've been popping these into the microwave for a quick low calorie lunch? On Sundays, buy a tray of organic chicken breasts, a tray of organic grass fed hamburger patties, grill them on your George Foreman type grill, and package them once cool individually for lunches throughout the week. This will be what I will be doing from now on. 


I don't have a problem admitting when I've made a mistake ( usually...) and here's one time, I was wrong. These meat substitute burgers aren't clean.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Magnificent Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits For Health and Beauty

Benefits of apple cider vinegar due to its mineral nutrition, such as, calcium, magnesium, potassium and etc. Apple cider vinegar benefits for health, such as, regulate the stability of blood sugar, preventing digestive disorders, arthritis alternative medicine, weight loss and much more. Apple cider vinegar is made from fresh ripe apples that are fermented and through a rigorous process before

Plantain Pizza Crust ( GF)

This recipe makes a fast and easy homemade pizza crust that you can make from start to finish in 25 minutes. The secret is a little known savory" fruit" called a plantain. Plantains are in the banana family, but when they are green, they are much starchier and not at all sweet. They are rich in vitamins A and C and low in calories ( 90 calories /cup) and low in fat. In their starchy state ( when they are green),plantains are perfect for making gluten free crusts, crackers, flatbreads, etc. Plantains that are still green enough to make pizza crust A few months ago, my friend Laura introduced me to a delicious gluten free flatbread that she had made using plantains. Up until that point, I really didn't know what to do with a plantain. I barely even knew what they were. Today, I made my first gluten free pizza crust using a single green plantain that cost me 50 cents. The pizza crust was so easy to make, it bordered on ridiculous. I just peeled and cut one plantain into...

Middle Eastern Eggplant Ratatouie

Rich and flavorful, this chunky low calorie Middle Eastern eggplant ratatouille makes a delicious side for a family dinner or an inviting appetizer for your next get together.. I love recipes from Middle Eastern countries like like Turkey, Syria, Egypt, Morocco,and Israel which are famous for their tasty eggplant dishes. This family recipe is a middle Eastern classic that is like a stew- tender, satisfying and easy to make. The secret to the recipe is roasting , not frying, the eggplant and veggies. Roasting brings out the vegetable's natural sweetness, saves calories, and is easier on the digestion than frying. This eggplant recipe is my version of one of my mother in laws authentic recipes that she brought with her from the old country. It is so versatile that we enjoy in a variety of ways: Over Baptismal rice or cauliflower rice,  Paired as a side dish with a bean dish,  As a topping for an omelette ( really good)  Or a cold or hot appetizer with crudites or gluten fre...